Get Answers To Your Copper Related ‘HOW TOs’
The time-tested antimicrobial properties of copper have helped it garner a great name in medical circles. Several medical institutes are leaping giant strides to weaken infections by mounting their patient rooms and operating theaters with copper alloy surfaces, replacing bed legs, chairs, tables, and door knobs. They also serve their patients meals and water in Ayurveda copper vessels and copper water bottles to protect them from possible hospital borne infections.
When water is filled in an copper vessel overnight or for a period longer than 3-4 hours, a small number of copper ions get dispersed into the liquid. This process of dispersion is called an Oligodynamic effect, and helps remove microbes and harmful bacteria in the drinking water.
Despite gaining a humongous social traction, few people are still aware about how to properly use copper vessels. We get many questions through our website and decided to address some in this blog post.
Here are some FAQs related to copper and its health benefits:
1- How to buy copper vessels?
2- How to wash copper vessels?
3- How long shall I use copper vessels?
How to buy copper vessels?
If you affirm the benefits of drinking water from a copper vessel, here is a quick guide to buying the right kind of copper vessels.
- It is vital to buy vessels that are made of over 90% pure copper. When purchasing copper drinking vessels, a little zinc may be included to help the body fully digest the copper, and keep the vessel safe for water consumption. If you're not sure of the composition of the copper vessel, ask questions!
- Real copper will oxidize! Anything made of genuine copper will change color with exposure to water and oxygen. This is called Patina- it can be a blue-green color, or faint black dots.
How to wash the copper vessels?
A good quality copper vessel is one you can own for a lifetime. Just follow these easy steps:
- Create a natural acidic solution by mixing a ¼ cup of lemon juice with water, or ¼ cup white vinegar with water. Fill the vessel to the top.
- Fill your copper vessel with this solution and let stand for at least 30-45 min.
- If there is tarnish on the outside, then soak the entire vessel in the solution.
- Remove from the solution and rinse with room temperature water.
- Dry the copper vessel immediately with a soft towel or cloth.
- Use and enjoy. Repeat the steps above as often as you like.
Click here for more detailed cleaning instructions.
How long shall I use copper vessels?
Some people own their copper vessel for decades, or a lifetime. However, water in every region of the world varies and can have varied effects on the longevity of the copper vessel. One way you'll know it's time to change your copper vessel is if the taste of the water you've stored in the vessel begins to change dramatically. Remember that a little metallic taste is completely normal.
Another sign that it's time for a new vessel, is if tiny copper pieces begin floating in your water. Over time, with all the cleaning and scrubbing this is possible. It's not harmful, however it is a sign that your copper vessel may not be providing maximum benefits anymore.