Are You Using Your Ayurveda Copper Water Vessel Correctly?
Copper vessels had been a daily habit in most Asian countries until the 20th century, especially in India. Although a large number of people have remained loyal to this habit, many have switched to other metals. Once again, the times are changing and a plethora of scientific evidence confirming the benefits of using copper vessels to store and drink water are resurfacing.
Numerous studies have yielded positive results for the effects of copper on a person health. Th U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has even registered copper as the only solid material that kills bacteria and protects us from vulnerable health risks. These scientific facts, and the Indian Ayurveda tradition of drinking water stored in a copper vessel, such a copper Lota has brought many back to embracing the practice and reestablishing this daily routine.
However, simply knowing the benefits of drinking water from a copper vessel such as a Copper Water Bottle isn't enough. It is necessary to learn the proper method of consuming water from a copper vessel so that you can reap its maximum benefits. So, before you purchase your Ayurveda copper vessel, here are the basics:
The Science Behind The Ancient Indian Daily Routine of Using Copper Vessels
There is much science confirming the healthful benefits of copper. The shape, design, and material of a copper vessel plays a role in its health benefits. When you store water in a copper vessel for at least 8 hours, copper ions dissolve in that water in small amounts. Termed as the Oligodynamic Effect, this water now has the potency to destroy harmful microbes, fungi, bacteria, etc.
This unique property of copper was recognized by the Vedic Indians. It was eventually incorporated into a daily practice based on the teachings of Ayurveda, and is now being cultivated by many cultures and growing in popularity around the world.
Tips On Drinking Water From A Copper Vessel, Correctly and Safely
- The very first factor that could negatively affect your health is the quality of copper used in copper vessels. Make sure that whichever brand you choose has a rapport amongst the Ayurvedic community and is an authentic Ayurveda copper seller. If not sure, ask questions before purchasing.
- Before using the freshly bought copper vessel, do not forget to rinse it thoroughly using a natural acidic solution such as lemon and water.
- Fill the vessel or bottle with water for about 6-8 hours prior to initial consumption to allow the process of Oligodynamic to take place.
- The best way to reap the benefits of this traditional practice is to fill the Ayurveda copper vessel with water at night, let it rest by your bedside so the water can get fully ionized, and then consume the water next morning.
- Although there are numerous benefits, you don’t need to drink water from a copper vessels all day long. Twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening is enough. If you have a copper water bottle, you can choose to carry it all day and re-fill it regularly. This is not harmful and the copper bottle will continue to keep your water fresh and free of bacteria.
NOTE: An excess of anything is not well received by our bodies. This includes copper. Create a gap of one month after every three months of using the copper vessel. Changing your copper vessels after every three years of usage is also recommended but not necessary.