Whiten Teeth Naturally With Turmeric
Who doesn’t want a pearly white smile? There are dozens of products on the market for whitening your teeth. Most are packed with chemicals that destroy your tooth enamel and leave your teeth extremely sensitive to heat or cold. Plus, they are costly.
So, what’s a natural alternative?
For hundreds of years, Eastern cultures have been using turmeric to clean their teeth and gums. In India, it’s a common practice to chew on a turmeric root to keep teeth and gums clean.
Yes, turmeric! The same golden, bright yellow spice used in many food recipes. I know what you're thinking. How can such a bright yellow spice, that stains anything it touches, whiten my teeth?
Well, that pesky staining power is one reason why turmeric is great at whitening teeth. When combined with another ingredient such as coconut oil, turmeric sticks to the dirt and stains on your teeth and makes them slide off. It also contains a component called curcumin that is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, helping maintain oral hygiene and benefitting the teeth by cleaning gums and treating gum infections such as gingivitis.
Here is an easy teeth whitening recipe you can try. Due to its slightly abrasive nature, it is recommended that you use turmeric no more than once a day.
A few things to keep in mind
- Turmeric will stain your toothbrush- so don’t use anything fancy or expensive, especially electronic toothbrushes.
- Do not use on artificial teeth, veneers or dentures.
- Turmeric will stain your sink (it isn’t permanent) so clean it immediately after.
TURMERIC TEETH WHITENING RECIPE
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder with an equal amount of coconut oil to make a thick paste.
- Put paste on your toothbrush
- Brush your teeth gently for 2-3 minutes
- Leave on teeth for about 5 minutes.
- Spit and rinse until the water coming out is clear