Everything You Need to Know About The Raw Water Movement
According to the New York Times, the raw water movement is a trend which was born out of Silicon Valley. Drinking raw water is said to give us many health benefits that we can't get from drinking bottled or tap water.
However, there are many who are completely against these statements, some of which have publicly aired their concerns related to drinking raw water. Read on to get a full list of the pros and cons of drinking raw water as things stand today.
Raw Water – What Are the Benefits?
Raw Water or Live Water as it is otherwise known is water taken directly from the source and is reported to have a whole host of benefits that bottled or tap water just does not have; this is because it is enriched with essential minerals and probiotics.
The very essence of this product’s uniqueness is that it has been taken directly from the source and has had no chemicals added to it whatsoever.
- According to Live Water, they claim the sterilization process of water kills off essential probiotics. They have also gone on record to state that there are links between drinking filtered water and obesity, anxiety, fatigue and more. Proclaiming that by drinking raw water, you reduce your chances of becoming unwell and it can also help to fight anxiety, fatigue, and weight gain.
- People who drink Raw Water state that they do so because it is free from herbicides, fertilizers, industrial waste that can come from a factory, above all else, it is free from toxins and contaminants.
- Raw Water is naturally alkaline while still containing calcium, sodium, and other essential nutrients.
- It is stated that drinking raw water is also linked to anti-aging, specifically helping to reduce wrinkles.
- Strong and Supple Joints. Yes, due to the blend of nutrients, drinking raw water is also said to help if you have any joint problems.
If you are wondering what raw water tastes like, then you are not alone. Apparently, it has a vague, mild smoothness about it and is very palatable.
Drinking Water – The Right Way
Drinking water from a copper vessel carries the same taste as untouched water. One added benefit- because copper is a natural antimicrobial, toxins are completely removed. According to Ayurveda, if you store your water in a copper vessel, you can balance all three Doshas as it charges the water positively. Copper is Oligodynamic, which means it is highly effective at killing bacteria, and combating E.coli, S.aureus and many other bacteria. There are a huge range of benefits that come from drinking water from a copper vessel and they are all covered in a previous blog post.
What are the disadvantages of drinking Raw Water?
Expert health professionals have a slightly different take on raw water and warn of the dangers linked with this new water-fuelled trend. Vince Hill, Chairman of the waterborne disease branch in Atlanta, insists that by preceding the process of filtration, you are removing the protection of having water that has met with strict quality guidelines to prove its safety for consumption.
- Dangerous pathogens can easily be present in the water due to cattle, bird droppings, and other environmental pollutants.
- There is a risk of arsenic poisoning if you drink water that has washed over certain types of rocks.
- The reason our tap water is drinkable is that it has been filtered and treated. It is this process that then makes the water safe to consume. There is a real potential for intestinal infections, E.coli, and many other variants of bacterial infections. Dysentery and Cholera are also on this list of linked conditions.
- Diseases and Bacteria are removed in the filtration process. With raw water, there is no filtration process to remove such substances.
- Many of the possible infections you could contract can be easily passed onto others, even if they don’t drink raw water.
Are there any warnings about drinking Raw Water?
The World Health Organization has clearly stated that there is a potential risk of drinking contaminated water.
The most notable waterborne diseases are listed below:
The majority of views taken against raw water do not dispute any of the benefits listed in this post. Nobody is saying that raw water is not filled with beneficial minerals. However, the health risks that are posed as a result of drinking raw water could indeed negate any of the advantages if they were to be contracted by the person drinking the raw water.
The question remains-Are you willing to give it a try?